Sunday, February 14, 2016

El Día de San Valentín

I arrived in Cusco early in the morning on the 14th and walked through the Plaza de Armas one last time. This city has been my home base for the past two months and I have grown fond of its cobble stone streets, Spanish churches, Incan ruins and happy bustling city vibes. The sun shone down on the plaza as traditional Peruvian flute music drifted through the warm air. Couples walked the street hand in hand and flowers and red balloons filled the city. 
The one main difference however, between the traditional American and the traditional Peruvian Valentine's Day, was the water. In addition to the roses in hand, people strolled the streets armed with water balloons, squirt guns, silly spray and buckets of soapy, sudsy water. 
I walked through the plaza watching as sporadic battles between people broke out, foolishly thinking that I would be immune to the Peruvian tradition. I was wrong. In the end, I rode to the airport with a soaked and soapy shirt, dripping face and a taxi driver nervously double checking that I didn't get any water in my eyes, "esta contaminado" he said.

Felíz día de San Valentín to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment