Friday, November 20, 2015

Ama La Vida: Ecuador In Review


Goodbyes are seemingly more difficult when traveling. In the states when we say goodbye to one another, it's usually just until we see them again, see them soon. On the contrary, most of the goodbyes I have said here are forever. This concept hits me every time I get onto the bus and the wheels pull away from the station, leaving behind every connection I had established over the previous weeks. Every time I changed towns, I had to say goodbye to all the lovely new people I came to know. Leaving my established routine and familiarity for a completely blank slate; to start from zero all over again. Each goodbye was accompanied with the realization of how many new friends I'd made and how quickly and easily these people invited me into their lives and treated me as though we'd been friends or family for years. 
As I look back at my time in Ecuador, the first thing that comes to mind is the people. 
I think of Richard, the guy who cooked on our boat in the Galápagos. Darwin, our friend who taught us about geology and tried to touch the hammerhead sharks when we were snorkeling. I think of Mario, the man who runs a beautiful bed and breakfast in Quito with his wife, and I remember him waving goodbye to us out of the tall beautiful door. Jose, the owner of the nature reserve who reluctantly played cards with me at night and told me about the 60's and how he got out of the draft. Fousto, the man who helped me ride the mules to the reserve and showed me all the scary bugs he found. Alex, my young friend who opened my eyes to what t means to be fortunate and who swam in the cold waterfall with me when it was sunny. Todd, my hiking buddy from Colorado who adventured to a waterfall hidden in the forest with me. Wilson, the person who took me to my first disco teka and taught me how to say the body parts in Spanish. Lily, my friend from Alaska who was excellent company in the streets of Quito as we enjoyed delicious juices and ice cream. Leila, the woman who invited me into her house and taught me how to make ceviche and fried platanos. Olga, the sweet lady who says "mi amor" every time she talks to me. Luis, my friend who I went out to get batidos with at night as I helped him practice his English. Frederico, the guy from Austria who took surf lessons with me and was always equally as confused as I was when people started talking too fast. Roque, my "tourist guide" who kept me occupied every day and had the simplest and most light-hearted laugh I've ever heard.  His daughters, Olartia and Nerexy who I went to fiestas with, swam in the waterfall with, and ran through the cemetery with at night. Delsi, the woman who knitted as I slept on the ground under the cacao tree when we finished picking maraquya. Mario, my surf teacher who helped me paddle out past where the waves were braking and laughed as I struggled to sit balanced on my board. Alberto, the surfer bum who walked the beach with me and showed me all the coolest bars. Ingo, the Brasilian who brought me to a good hostel and sat with me on the beach to watch the sunset. 
My time in Ecuador flew by. The country is so vast and diverse it would take at least a year to explore everything it has to offer. Each municipality has a different dish, a different indigenous culture, a different dialect, a different history and a different economy. 
I absolutely loved seeing a slice of these different aspects of the country and am hungry to return one day to continue my exploring. 
"Ama La Vida" is the slogan for Ecuador and it means "Love The Life." I think this is a very fitting slogan because everyone I met was so incredibly happy. Though their lives at first appeared to be simple and repetitive, they lacked the stress and distractions that we face on a daily basis in the U.S. They live a pure and simple life and I'm so grateful to have taken part in it. I will always remember the kindness and hospitality they so generously showed me.
Until next time Ecuador... Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment